23 January 2008

My New Job

In late December I received several emails that I was selected by an Air Force general and an Army general to be given more responsibility and to serve as the Deputy Commanding Officer for the Gulf Region Division. I directly support the Commanding General in any way he needs (including meetings and office visits). I will be helping him oversee four different "businesses" that all support the people of Iraq: Civil and Military Projects, Business Development, Logistical Support to Iraqi Police and Army, and Operational Support to GRD.

I recently attended an Energy Sector working group recently that the GRD Commanding General co-chairs (and I will represent him when he travels). Afterwards, a retired Air Force Iraqi general approached me and asked "Did you come to my country to help Iraqi people?"
I responded, "Yes, I asked to come here to help you and your people."
"Thank you, thank you. And your family, are they OK with this?"
"Yes, they sent me also, my family wants to help your families."
"Oh, thank you thank you".

They are very appreciative of America. I know I am here in large part to all the support from family and friends back home... so thank you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does this new important job require you to handle highlighters?

Love Meredith

Mark Saroni said...

hah. good one Meredith.

Anonymous said...

Our prayers remain with you and your family. Glad to hear that the Iraqi people can appreciate our sacrifices for them.

God's blessings,
Carolyn

Barry Fulton said...

Hi Vince,
I am a friend of Kathi and John's--one of the pastors at their church. John forwarded the blog address to me and I just finished reading all your posts. It is really good to read some first-hand information about progress that is being made by our troops. It seems that you have a compassionate spirit and a good since of humor, both of which I am sure you will have many opportunities to use. Know that there are people praying for you that you haven't met. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Grace and peace,
Barry